Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Binkie Free

We are now a binkie free household! We've been thinking about getting Tanner off his binkie for awhile now, but he likes it so much it's hard to do.

This is a picture taken not too long ago. Katelyn thought she was so silly when she put a binkie in her mouth. I had to laugh!


But it's time to get serious about the binkie thing. He is 2 now, after all. So we cut off the end of it and when he asked for it I told him it was broken.

This is his reaction. He was sad, but what does he want to do with a broken binkie? He sucked on it for half a second and took it right out.

He threw it right away. The best thing is, it was HIS idea to throw it out.
We were good for a few days until he found a binkie hiding under his bed. He was so happy! I let him have it for awhile. When he took it out to eat, I snuck away and cut that one too.
Once again, he said, "Binkie broken!" He was sad, but went over and threw it away.
This was Brandon's idea. Someone had told him about this technique. I was skeptical but he finally talked me into it. Whenever Tanner wants his binkie now he just reminds me that it's broken in a sad voice. But then he is okay because he really doesn't want a broken one. It's been surprisingly easy!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

mindy sincich said...

I think that is just so cute!

Julie and Eric said...

That is so clever! I love his face when he realizes it broken! Oh! So Sad! It was fun seeing you today!

Anonymous said...

I can only hope that this deception will not make him lose faith in you, his parents - just think about when he is older, like 25 and realizes that his Binkie was wantonly destroyed by HIS PARENTS! Well at least by that time, he'll be old enough to buy his own.

Remember Grandma Banay would have let you keep it forever!

(I mean Brandon still has his doesn't he?)

Mandy said...

Good for you! (and Tanner!)
You're braver than I. I'm afraid for Ash not to have his...
Soon, though!

Emily said...

Good tactic...I like it. We had to get creative with Austin. He had about 6 or 7 of them...no kidding. He would carry them all around so that if it fell out of his mouth he could quickly put another one in & then pick up the one that fell:) They used to fall under his bed at night & so we just started saying we couldn't find them until they were all "lost".

By the way, I am going to call you & we are going to go to lunch, I promise!!! Things have been crazy but I do want to get together again!!

farmerswife17 said...

That is too funny! I love the picture of him just looking at it like, "Oh,no! How did it get broken?"
That is such a great idea, I will file that away for future use!
You are such a great mom, Jessica! I is so fun to see your pictures and read how you are doing. You and Brandon make such a great couple!