Monday, November 24, 2008

Morning Phone Call

It was hard to leave Katelyn when I went to work early today. Tanner stayed asleep as I passed him from my arms to our neighbor Peggy's arms. But Katelyn was half awake on Peggy's couch in the dark, arms outstretched and calling, "But Mommy I want you!" Sometimes it's so hard to leave them! The mornings that they don't wake up when I take them to the baby-sitter it's a whole lot easier. I'm just grateful that I only work 2 days a week.

So I called Katelyn around 9:30 to say hi and she how she was doing. She picked up the phone and says brightly, "Mommy, I was just about to call you!"

I laughed, "Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I was. Mommy, you're the best Mommy I ever had. I love you."

"Oh thanks, sweetie. I love you so much!" I'm so happy that I called. I love it when she says that.

"You're the best Mommy that I've ever seen, ever!"

Wow. She really misses me today! "Thanks sweetie. I miss you." I smile despite pangs of guilt that I'm not there to hug her as she tells me these sweet thoughts.

"Mommy, you're the best Mommy and you're my mommy and Tanner's and no one else's, just ours."

We talk for a couple more minutes about what she's been doing so far this morning (oatmeal, books, toys) before she passes the phone to Tanner.



"Hi Mommy!"

"Hi Tanner Bug! What are you doing?"

"I eat oatmeal and Katelyn funny!" He laughs.

"I love you buddy." I love to hear his cute boyish voice over the phone, but I'm wishing that I could be holding him while he whispers in my ear and making it tickle.

"I love you Mommy. See ya later Alligator."

I have the best kids EVER. I'm so lucky to be their Mom!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Great pictures, Jess! Your kids are darling. Sweet, too!

mindy sincich said...

That is so sweet!

Melody said...

Being a mom is the BEST! Your kids are blessed to have a great mom like you.

Julie and Eric said...

So sweet! Those moments are pricless. I understand too well about being torn to leave your kids! :( It's so hard. Your kids are adorable! I am so thankful to them for helping make Jared feel at home at Peggy's!