Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Aug/Sep '09: Katelyn's Horseback Riding Lessons

At the end of the summer Katelyn started taking horseback riding lessons. Unfortunately the weather got too cold for her to continue for long, but when spring comes she hopes to be back out riding again!

To say that she enjoyed her lessons would be a huge understatement. She counted down the days each week until she could go again. It was an amazing motivator to get her chores done and listen to me and Brandon.

I got some really fun pictures of her riding this horse which she nicknamed "The Boss". It was the horse she rode every time and even though he was the biggest one there, he is very gentle and Katelyn just adored him.







Not only did she learn about riding and using the reins to guide the horse, she got to learn how to saddle up and prepare to ride, take off all the equipment afterward, brush, and feed him.




Tanner got to go to one of her lessons. He was with me because I didn't have a sitter but they offered to let him ride too. He even got to help them feed snacks to the horses after.

This is the small pony Tanner rode on. He is very small but has a mind of his own! Tanner didn't care, he just enjoyed the ride whether the horse was going the right way or not.



Katelyn can't wait to start up again! To be honest, I can't either. I can't wait for her to do chores and homework with no whining at all. She had to miss riding one week because she was being naughty. It was so very, very sad for her! She didn't doubt my threats after that...I'm such a mean mom.

2 comments:

mindy sincich said...

That looks like so muCH FUN! It's awesome that she loves it so much. The horse is huge, she looks so cute on it.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to see you ride the horses Katelyn, I loved horses when I was your age and I still love them today. They are wonderful animals and you are such a lucky girl to get to ride them.