Thursday, December 4, 2008

We Don't Say That at Preschool!

I had the pleasure of helping in Katelyn's preschool class yesterday. I had the interesting opportunity to overhear a 4 year old little boy call a classmate "stupid". Yeah, he sounds sweet right? Well get this- he follows it up by calling her a ****head! The teacher, Miss Bonnie, jumps right in and tells him that "no one in this class is stupid" and "that other word is one Miss Bonnie doesn't even say, ever!"

Well now all the kids are listening in and I can tell that they all have rules of some sort, however lenient, at their own houses about language. It was apparent in the way they were telling each other, "*** is a bad word," giving knowing looks to each other and nodding. "Yeah, I can't say ****. It's a bad word too" pipes in another.

Sigh.

Does Katelyn really have to go to school? Can't I keep her home a few (or several) more years? I mean really. This is just preschool. The tip of the iceberg. Next is lying, stealing, breaking & entering, who KNOWS what will be going on by the time they all enter 2nd grade.

I was a little comforted by the fact that Katelyn was not one of the participants in this little gab session. She was busy painting a picture of Captain Moroni on his horse to send to her uncle on his mission. Hopefully not absorbing any of these choice words.

Can't she stay sweet and innocent forever?

Please?

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, just wait. By the time she's in second grade, she'll know all kinds of fun stuff...little rhyming insults, words that I didn't know until I was in high school, plus all the "mature" things that I wish I still didn't have to know:) I'm with you...can't we just keep them little? Lock them up in a room & stop time? I want to keep mine innocent forever:)

Julie and Eric said...

Welcome to the world. I have felt just like you, and especially when I sent Jaycee off to school. I think it's part of being a protective mom and realizing your daughter is starting not to need you as much as she use to. I have tried to do everything to "spare" kids but that's just it. Our children will be exposed sometime in their lives no matter how we try to avoid it. I believe that this generation of children and especially strong and God sent them at this time for a reason. I have really had to learn to have faith in the plan of "agency". I know that if we teach our children what is right and have them gain a testimony of the Gospel they can withstand anything. Wow! Where did that come from? I think I can identify with how you are feeling and since my oldest daughter is now almost 11 (yikes) I have had to have faith in her. She is incredible. And Katleynn drawing a picture of Moroni on a horse just shows where her heart is. You have done a great job planting seeds of faith in your family. ;) You are a amazing Mom!

Anonymous said...

You should ask Brandon if he remembers the song he sang to me that he learned at the neighbors. He was so proud, I was so shocked. So this has been around for a long time. It is a shame that we have to expose them to the real world.